We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Solitary Meals

Sometimes all I need is a little alone time and some food therapy. This is exactly what I've been getting the past two afternoons. And it feels great. There's just something magical about getting absorbed into the world of cooking -the tasks, the flavour combinations, THE RESULTS.

As I write this, I am happily, and hungrily, eating my just prepared simple lunch. Today it's a lettuce and tomato salad simple dressed with lemon juice, salt and pepper with lovely fried bacon. To top it off, a cut of lean pork pan coated with a rub of indian-y spices and lightly seared. The meat's still juicy and tender, oh so good. I love the combination of this quick lunch. The pork has a slightly strong flavour because of all the spices but is beautifully complimented with the clean salad and freshness of the lemon juice. And, of course, nothing ever tastes bad when you have the crunchy salty morsels of bacon running through the whole dish.

It's also a nice contrast to what I had yesterday - Spagetti alla Carbonara. The kitchen was somewhat chaotic while I was making that, what with all the pans and bowls about but nonetheless, it turned out fine. I didn't have all the original ingredients to make carbonara so I improvised. Instead of cream, I used milk and in place of parmesan was sandwich cheese. Weird and unforgivable what what could I do? I was craving. And everyone knows you can't whole a girl down once she's made up her mind. I added a bit too much cooking liquid so it turned out a bit too wet but who cares. It still tasted good, with more of a mac and cheese taste to it, i must say.

Lunch was heavy yesterday, so today I make it light. Hmm I wonder what I'll having tomorrow? Hehe my taste buds tingle with eager anticipation what I conjure up my next culinary idea.

And so, with the last bite of today's lunch,  I end this post.

No comments: